For usage of FRS two way radios,Licensing for Two Way Radios Articles no special license is required. You can even use FRS/GMRS combo radios without a license, given that you constrain yourself to the FRS capabilities of the radio, i.e. you do not use GMRS-only channels and you do not use more than 0.5 watts of transmission

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws.

If you are planning to purchase a two way radio that operates using GMRS frequencies and plan to use it within the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that you register for a GMRS license. The FCC is responsible for licensing and regulating the use of the radio frequency spectrum for broadcast purposes in the United States.

Before any station transmits on any channel authorized in the GMRS from any point within or over the territorial limits of any area where the FCC regulates radio services, the responsible party must obtain a license.

FCC has mentioned following guidelines on their website. “Radios marketed as “FRS/GMRS” or “dual-service radios” are available from many manufacturers and many retail or discount stores. The manual that comes with the radio, or the label placed on it by the manufacturer, should indicate the service the unit is certified for. If you cannot determine what service the unit may be used in, contact the manufacturer.”

Operating within FCC rules and regulations is the responsibility of the actual end user. Like all government requirements, paperwork will be involved and it can be confusing and time consuming. Companies using licensed two way radio equipment must have a valid OFCOM operator’s license. The license is issued by OFCOM.

The license fees vary depending on requirement and post code but briefly they are as follows:

Amateur Radio 446 – No License Required

Business Radio – Light License – £75 for 5 years

Business Radio – Technically Assigned – POA

Business Radio – Area Defined – POA

Licensed radios are typically 10 times more powerful than unlicensed radios giving greater range and less likelihood of interference from other radio users. Business radio licenses are distinct from radio broadcast licenses in that radio broadcasters use radio communication as an end product, while business radio licensees use radio communication to support their business operations. The FCC can fine your organization up to $10,000 per day for failure to comply with the rules and regulations!

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *